So. Work. Kids. Time flies by, as do good intentions. Nonetheless, I did read some pages of "Malay Magic" by W. W. Skeat.
I started with the preface (by a certain Mr. Blagden) and I must say: Damn, I forgot how politically incorrect the language around this time could be by modern standards. Savages, "other breeds" and similar terms are used frequently when he talks about the malaysian natives. Not that they are used disrespectfully per se, they sound awful, though.
Then, some pages into chapter one ("Nature")...
Then, under "Natural Phenomena" - the tides...
This book is actually more then I was looking for. It is full of instantly gameable content! I hope I'll have time to read more, soon...
F
I started with the preface (by a certain Mr. Blagden) and I must say: Damn, I forgot how politically incorrect the language around this time could be by modern standards. Savages, "other breeds" and similar terms are used frequently when he talks about the malaysian natives. Not that they are used disrespectfully per se, they sound awful, though.
Then, some pages into chapter one ("Nature")...
The Mountains of Caucasus are usually called by Malays Bukit Kof (i.e. Kaf), or the Mountains of Kaf (which latter is their Arabic name). These mountains are not unfrequently referred to in Malay charms, e.g. in in- vocations addressed to the Rice-Spirit. The Mountains of Kaf are to the Malays a great range which serves as a " wall " (dinding) to the earth, and keeps off both excessive winds and beasts of prey. This wall, how- ever, is being bored through by people called Yajuj and Majuj (Gog and Magog), and when they succeed in their task the end of all things will come.Awesome.
Then, under "Natural Phenomena" - the tides...
" The Pusat tasek, or Navel of the Seas, supposed to be a huge hole in the ocean bottom. In this hole there sits a gigantic crab which twice a day gets out in order to search for food. While he is sitting in the hole the waters of the ocean are unable to pour down into the under world, the whole of the aperture being filled and blocked by the crab's bulk. The inflowing of the rivers into the sea during these periods are supposed to cause the rising of the tide, while the downpouring of the waters through the great hole when the crab is absent searching for food is supposed to cause the ebb."Again, awesome.
This book is actually more then I was looking for. It is full of instantly gameable content! I hope I'll have time to read more, soon...
F
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen